Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Spinning mad tunes on my iPod

Those that know the long history of Courtney, understand the importance of music in my life. (Sorry, Delaney has me talking in the third person).

I go in waves of music but it's always important to me. iTunes and iPods have improved my life greatly. Immensely. Stupendously. I wouldn't even consider going away for a trip, a long car ride, or even starting an intense cleaning project, without having a timely iMix created for my listening pleasure. I've always loved music and especially live music. I can't think of many other ways I'd like to spend a night out than at a small intimate club listening to a great band. Some of my fondest memories with Kevin and friends are at concerts. A little bit of unknown trivia is that the Barenaked Ladies were one of the big reasons Kevin and I started corresponding in the first place (I didn't know too many other fans back in 1998).

I believe there's a time and place for all kinds of music. Even Britney Spears. I laugh when music critics, or critics in general, dismiss an artist or type of music as crap. It may be crap to them but it means something to someone, somewhere. If there's a song that can bring you out of your funk, or causes you to stop everything and sing the chorus, just know there's someone else out there doing that exact thing for "Hit Me Baby One More Time". More often than not I can understand and appreciate a song for having value of some sort.

I can't put my musical taste squarely into any one category. If I have to choose a few, I suppose I'll go with alternative, hip-hop and folk. However, I am a huge sucker for a good pop song, a rocking good head banger or a melodic country tune.

I am spinning some particularly good tunes on my iPod currently, as I am going through a new phase of discovery, with new artists and new songs. I love that I can go onto iTunes and buy just ONE song from an artist. It makes that iMix task all that much better. So here's my recommendations, in case you have some spare time or spare cash on hand for some new downloads.

Carbon Leaf -- They are not new and not actually new to me (first heard them in Eugene in 2003). They are talented, fresh, melodic, energetic, at times gritty and to boot really nice guys. If I had to describe them, I suppose I would say a cross between REM, The Fray and an Irish folk band. They are amazing live, they fall into that rare category of bands that I would go see two nights in a row. Go buy the whole Indian Summer cd. You won't regret it. They are the single best musical discovery I have made in the last 10 years. (Sidenote: Barry, the lead singer, is also mighty fine eye candy.)

Bands you might have heard of that deserve a further listen: Ray LaMontagne, Amos Lee, and Josh Radin. Josh needs to start putting out new stuff, and I would love it if he'd write about something OTHER than a break-up, I have faith it's coming soon.

Cheesy, pop-py, but can't help but sing along: I have to admit I heard a bunch of these songs on The Hills. Kevin gets downright angry when I tell him I found a song there BECAUSE NOTHING GOOD SHOULD COME OF THAT SHOW.
Sara Bareilles - If I have her playing in the car I always end up turning up it up and singing full pitch like I was auditioning for American Idol. It might be cheesy, but it's oh-so-good-melted-brie-dripping-down-my-chin-satisfaction. Download Between The Lines and Gravity.
Lifehouse -- Yeah, they've been around for a while, but they sure can write a catch-phrase. I love the grit in his voice especially in the ballads. Download Broken, Whatever It Takes and Broken.
Suzie McNeil -- Download Believe.
A Fine Frenzy -- Download Think of You and Almost Lover. Her voice is like Jewel but more vulnerable and mellow.
Matt White -- Kevin can relax because I did not hear him on the Hills. The music engine of iTunes told me I might like him based on some other music I had purchased. His lyrics are full of syrup, and so is his voice, but it's good enough to keep appearing on my iMixes. Wait for Love and Midnight Desire are particularly good.

Alternative cheesy, a bit more grit than the cheese above:
Matt Nathanson:
I liked him immediately when I saw him open for Carbon Leaf. Of course his SF roots made him even more likable, but his music is "hold up month after month" good. I will have to recommend you get a whole cd, instead of a few downloads. Beneath These Fireworks is a great album, and his new one is good too (although I forget the name).
Needtobreathe: They could easily be in the above category, but there's some nice writing in the one single, More Time.
Angels and Airwaves: They remind me a lot of some of the cooler bands in the 80's like Hothouse Flowers, Big Country, and The Alarm. Their drum beats are so uptempo that I think they cross over into a little bubble gum every now and again.

Crap, I'm out of time but I have a TON of other bands to mention. I guess another post, another day.

1 comment:

  1. Courtney, have you heard of Muse? I think they are a band from the UK and I'm so entranced whenever I listen to their music (I can just listen to the CD over and over on repeat)... my cousins in St. Louis introduced them to me and I just love it... its interesting, mysterious, and intriging... at least that's how it felt to me. I'd say its mostly alternative, and something else... I wouldn't know how else to describe it. I just love it, I'd highly recommend you try listening to some of their music and let me know what you think! I like this post, I love my music too.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete