Yesterday I got a panicked call from my mom that my nephew had been rushed to the Children's Hospital in San Diego to investigate what *might* be spinal meningitis. She was distraught, but I tried not to panic and rush to judgement because the test results had not come back yet, and really all they knew to date was that he had a rash and a fever.
Yesterday morning Janet and Joe had noticed a little rash on Luke's bottom, but didn't think too much of it and Janet figured she'd ask about it during his regularly scheduled appointment later that day. The rash had moved to his belly by the time she got to his appointment and the doc took a few looks and counseled her to take him immediately to the emergency room. After he took a rectal temp, he decided it would actually be best if she rush to the Children's Hospital emergency room. As you can imagine from that moment on major panic set in with everyone involved.
I guess little Luke wasn't doing well for a few hours while his fever was close to 104. Eventually it stabilized a bit but he is not down to a normal temp just yet. Janet spent the night in the hospital with the fella and my bro went home late to catch a few hours sleep. I guess there are no good sleeping areas for parents of kids in the NICU.
The docs still don't know what's wrong with the little man, but think it's either a viral infection or spinal meningitis. Apparently there's a chance they'll never know and they just have to wait it out. The good news is that he's being monitored like a hawk and is in the best possible hands to make sure he stays healthy.
My heart goes out to Janet, because I remember what an emotional mess I was one week after Delaney was born, and I was just dealing with a crying baby who refused to nurse or sleep. If I felt like my baby's life was on the line I can only imagine the emotions and exhaustion she must be feeling. And my bro too.
Think good thoughts for little Luke and hope that he fights through this illness with all his strength.
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Poor little Luke Enzo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment