We bought some moon sand a while back for a rainy (more realistically snowy) day and yesterday we busted it out. (Yep it was a snowy day!) I thought it would be like playdoh but maybe more pliable. I really wasn't sure about the stuff.
Delaney proceeded to mix all three of our colors and started pressing the caps to the Moon Sand containers to get little molded shapes. The shapes were not as distinct as the Play Doh molds we make. But anyway, after about 10 minutes of making an ENORMOUS mess and not much creative product to show for it, we decided to put it away. I wasn't sure if I was missing something with this stuff. Was I using it wrong? Do you need to add something to it?
Later on in the day my 1-year-old son found a way to reach one of the little tubs, pulled it down and miraculously pulled off one of the tops. I got to him just as he was ingesting some of it and think I got most of it out of his mouth. I then called Poison Control just to make sure it wasn't lethal and they said if I got to him before he really ate it it would not be a big deal.
Then I went online and Googled "eating moon sand" and found some absolutely terrifying stuff about ingesting Moon Sand. And allergic reactions on children (like burning off skin). There were reports of dogs dying and needing intestinal surgeries from eating it. I know it is not surprising that I found frightening tales online, but it was almost enough to make me call the company.
Needless to say, our Moon Sand is now in the trash. Every last granule.
I have no idea what Moon Sand is made of, or if all of those claims are true, but my advice to you is to avoid it. Even if it were healthy to eat, the stuff makes a monster mess that is nearly impossible to clean up (like wispy granules of sand) and is hard to create anything worthwhile with it. Play Doh is messy too, but nothing like Moon Sand and not nearly as potentially toxic to the skin.
Sorry Moon Sand, I am going to have to give the thumbs down on the product.
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Flipping Moon Sand
Posted by Courtney at 1:04 PM
Labels:
product review
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment