Thursday, October 9, 2008

Life in the trenches

Life has been a bit hectic over the last few weeks, full of highs and lows of every kind. I was worried in the first week because it appeared that we got a close version of the fussy/colic baby we had with Delaney, but now that I've been with him for 2.5 weeks, I can say with certainty he's nothing like his big sister and only has intermittent bouts of fussiness. Most of it seems gas and poop related so I'm not sure if it's just his body or the things I'm eating. Stay tuned as I'm sure you're all eager to figure it out with me. :)

Having my mom here for two weeks was amazingly helpful and I don't think we could have survived without her. She did baby holding duty during the mornings, afternoons and even a few nighttime stretches. She cooked meals, cleaned, did laundry and lended a helping hand wherever needed. I think she was nearly dead when she left on Tuesday and for that I feel horrible, but I think she liked feeling useful and helpful. I think she knows just how much I appreciated the help.

The nursing was a huge challenge the first week, and my GI issues continue to plague me, but things do seem to be getting a bit easier every day. I love our little man and spend lots of time staring at his beautiful face.

I'm a bit worried about next week as it's my first week where I'll have both kids 3 days a week. Since Garrett is still not sleeping during the night (he is awake for long stretches all through the night) I am concerned about having to live on 3-4 hours of sleep that he's letting me get. I think Kevin might have to start pitching in more at night. I have to admit that there is a huge twinge of jealousy every night as I see him retreat to our quiet, cozy bedroom and get 7-8 straight hours of sleep. I had been living on our couch for two weeks but last night moved into Delaney's future room. I haven't been sleeping in our room because I didn't feel like it made sense for Garrett to keep both of us up at night when he is awake.

I will post more pics soon, I just loaded them all up onto the computer and in fact have put a bunch on my Facebook page.

One thing I can say for CERTAIN. We are not having any more kiddos. 2 is plenty. I really don't want to go through the first two weeks of a newborn ever again. Phew.

We feel very blessed to live in Boulder with so many helpful friends and neighbors. We have had at least 8 families drop off meals and even a few people have offered (and have taken) Delaney away for playdates. This is probably the most helpful thing, I now realize. Delaney has not taken very well to the new addition to the family as she is acting out in all sorts of crazy ways in order to get our attention away from Garrett. I know it's a phase but it sure is trying on my nerves, especially when I have not been able to get a full nights rest.

Delaney also brought home a little cold last week and passed it on to every one of us, including Garrett. Poor little man is sniffling, sneezing, wheezing and choking on his snot. Those darn bulb syringes are only so effective, too.

I hope to write my labor/birth experience within the next week and post it here. For now I am back to the couch to my job as Milk Machine. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment