We just wrapped up a little visit from my parents. My dad was here for 6 days doing various projects around the house. My mom flew out for only 2 nights and one day, and they left this morning at 5am to make their annual May pilgrimmage to Maine.
Delaney loved having her grandparents here and every morning the first things she asks is where Grandpa or Moma are, and then quickly asks if she can go see them. She was very sad this morning to see their room so empty.
I posted a huge post about Sodium Laurel Sulfate a few weeks ago and I was telling my family about the research I'd found and the conclusions I'd come to on the subject. I told my mom that SLS is in toothpaste and if you read your toothpaste tube you will notice that it clearly suggests you contact your Poison Control center immediately if you were to accidentally swallow any toothpaste. How crazy is that? This is something you put in your mouth daily and if you are to accidentally swallow a little you should contact Poison Control? My mom thought that SLS might be causing all of her problems and vowed to immediately go purchase some of that "hippy toothpaste".
We got on the subject because of the recent controversy around Bisphenol-A (BPA) in plastic bottles. It's in plastic water bottles, Nalgenes, and most prevalently in baby bottles. Sure enough the bottles we've been giving Delaney since birth are full of this nasty BPA chemical crap that supposedly mocks estrogen and can cause developmental issues, breast cancer, and a few other nasty things.
I told Kevin that I had tried to purchase some "cancer free" baby bottles for little JaMarius(working name) last weekend at Babies R Us but they were all out. So I then went to Amazon and used some gift certificates sitting around to purchase a whole cabinet full of these "hippy bottles". Man o man were they expensive. One sippy cup is $10.99. Seriously?!?! The guilt is pretty overwhelming, though, when you read the articles and then think about potentially harming your tiny little child every day through BPA-made bottles. Maybe this recent string of bad press around BPA will make enough of an impact that Avent and Dr. Brown's will actually find ANOTHER way of making plastic.
Sometimes I get very depressed when I think about all the chemicals in our world today, and wonder how much damange I've already done to my body through soaps, lotions, tupperware, plastic wrap, water bottles, etc. It's like nothing is safe anymore. Sigh. I hope this is not the only legacy we leave our children.
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Parents pilgrimmage to Maine and hippy products
Posted by Courtney at 11:01 AM
Labels:
daily,
green living
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment