Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Second children

As I have mentioned a while back, Garrett is infinitely easier as a baby than his big sister Delaney. I think the gap of fussyness is larger than most gaps between first and second children, but it seems a generality that most second children are more easygoing than the first. I've heard a number of theories thrown out there for this phenomenom, but the one I hear most consistently is that the parents are more relaxed and therefore you know how better to handle an infant.

Could this be the main reason why second children are easier? I am not sure this can be true in our situation. I was arguably more stressed being pregnant and in the first few weeks of Garrett's life than I was Delaney's. Through Delaney's pregnancy I was generally happy and excited about the cooing and sweet newborn that I expected would come my way. Then out she came, spitfire cries and all, and I was convinced it would go away quickly. Because everyone has sweet little newborns that sleep all day, and I was sure she would come around. Ha! I think finally around week 2 I realized it was official and we had a colicky baby.

Now with Garrett's pregnancy I was emotional, moody and worried that we would create another colick nightmare. And even in the first few weeks when he would cry I would jump to conclusions that the colick man had arrived and we were stuck.

But he is SO much easier than his big sister, so much so that I feel guilty even talking about how wonderful he is as a baby because we did none of that with Delaney. I know it wasn't her fault but there is no doubt that we are both more affectionate and feel more love towards Garrett in these early weeks. Don't get me wrong, we loved Delaney from the start, but there wasn't a lot of time to talk about how much we loved her since we could barely hear each other over her crying.

So if that theory of "relaxedness" (I'm sure that's a word) is true then we have bucked the trend.

I can't say I'm complaining about it, however it came true. I'm just glad that someone took pity on me somewhere and blessed me, despite my stressing hormones, with a pretty chill babe.

Speaking of, gotta go feed the little man. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment