Monday, March 10, 2008

Delaney might be as trainable as our dog

Delaney has now gone pee-pee in the potty twice in one week. Yeah! I don't think it's the start of a permanent trend, but at least we are heading in the right direction. One piece of good news is that Delaney seems very motivated by food, which maybe means she'll be like our dog Lucy, and learn things very quickly in order to get payout. I am thinking I should get out the clicker noise maker we used with Lucy and see if it works when we're in Target and Delaney desperately wants to bring home EVERY toy she sees. Hm.

Cookies and M&M's are the treats offered as reward for going potty, and when you say the words pee-pee, poo-poo, or potty usually Delaney will inquisitively say "cookie?" So I think she's made that connection, whether or not she will actually do the deed now on the potty, remains to be seen.

We have set a goal to get her daytime potty trained by the time baby #2 arrives. So we have roughly 6 months. When we first said that it seemed like a long way away, but now that seems like a really short period of time.

A lot of parents I have talked to said that you can't force deadlines on your kids and often they will dictate the pace with which they potty train. Which I believe there is some truth to, but there also has to be a component of education, incentives and consistency that plays a factor in how it happens.

Time will tell, and we will see how successful we are in the next few months as we ratchet up our efforts to get her sitting on the potty.

No comments:

Post a Comment