There are lots of things to love about Delaney these days. We went through a hard patch for a few months after little G was born, but it seems like she is hitting her rhythm now as a big sister. And I'm getting more sleep and consequently have more energy to dedicate to the whirling dervish. But one thing I particularly like these days is that she is finding a bond between us due to the fact that we're girls.
She exclaims multiple times a day that we are both in fact, girls. If I reach out to take her hand I'll say "come on, grab my hand" and she'll exclaim "because we're girls!" If I ask her who she wants to read her a bedtime story she'll say "I want mommy to do it..... because we're girls!" And if I put her in the car to run an errand she'll sit in her seat and say "Mommy we're girls".
My reply is usually "that's right Delaney, we're girls. Really cool girls."
I remember first finding out that we were going to have a girl and having a twinge of disappointment. I had always wanted a boy. And knowing first hand how hard the teenage years are for girls I shuddered at the thought of her struggling to fit in, having self esteem issues, weight concerns, promiscuity, you name it. I was terrified knowing she would undoubtedly reject me for a few years, rebel and date guys (or who knows... maybe even girls!) that weren't good for her, and do things in experimentation that would help her figure out who she wanted to be. I made it through all of those things, but some days I'm not really sure how I did given my crazy freshman and sophomore years of high school.
But now I couldn't be more happy that I have a girl and can help guide her through that mess. I consider it one of my most formidable tasks in life... to use whatever I learned (and my mom learned) and be as supportive as possible. And hopefully we will make it through to the other side where I will have a best friend for life. Similar to my relationship to my mom. My mom is still the first person I call when something good or bad happens. The person I look to for that extra support and buoyancy. And it dawns on me that the best thing I can do for her is to be the best person I can be and hopefully some of it will rub off through osmosis.
Someone told me that having girls is great because they will never really leave you even when they get married. Boys have a tendency to "leave" more, especially their relationships with their mothers. But not girls. Somehow the relationships between mothers and daughters seem to be a different kind of closeness. I look forward to when Delaney grows up and I can possibly have someone to share passions like cooking, reading, culture, sports, athletic endeavors and more. I'd like to help her become strong and confident. Athletic yet feminine. Loyal and committed. Self-centered yet giving. But really, I want to help her become whoever she wants to be. I want to help her be THAT.
It appears that right now the pendulum has swung towards me in Delaney's eyes. She still loves her Daddy uncontrollably but for the last few weeks has been relishing in finding time for just the two of us. And I'm enjoying it quite a bit as well. Maybe it's because.... well... we're girls. 
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Because we're girls....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Cute photo girls :)
ReplyDelete