Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Nap time

Nap time, nap time, o precious sweet nap time, how sweet you are nap time.

Before I had kids, I knew about naps and schedules, but I can honestly say I had no idea how my world would completely revolve around NAPS. I often observed other moms that were a slave to their child's nap schedules and quite honestly chuckled about it. Now as a mom there are only a few things that could really stop us from being home for naps. I feel like I could be at the best social event in the world but at the tick of 12:45 I would scoop up my child and be off to make it home by 1pm. I have willingly missed Delaney's naps for only a few things, like doctors appointments and airplane rides. Other than that you could pretty much know where to find me from the hours of 1-3pm for...o... about the last 2.5 years.

A few times recently Delaney has decided not to take a nap at all (pretty rare) and I am shuddering inside because I know this is a bit of foreshadowing of the terrible, inevitable day when her NAPS DISAPPEAR. I am assuming this will probably happen right about when I get Garrett settled on a great daytime schedule where he is napping at 9 and 1. Then I'll be stuck at home with a rambunctious toddler who is no longer napping.

We will continue to do quiet time for a while because I just can't imagine not having that wonderful break in the middle of the day. Guilt persists in great amounts for mothers and I know I feel tons of it when I choose to do my own things when my kids are awake and alert (like get on the internet). By and large I don't do it too much so the guilt is minimal. But that precious moment where you put your kid down for a nap and close the door, well, there is not much better than that moment. It's like you can feel the freedom on your shoulders and you are for only a brief moment, a person who can make their own decisions. Then you look at your watch and have to make that important choice... what am I going to do with MY TIME today? Granted you are stuck to the house but you are free within it's walls. You can nap, shower, get on the computer, call a friend, read a book, or even better just lay on the couch and veg. And you don't have to feel one ounce of guilt. Sometimes it is enough to make we want to do a dance. Or sing a song. Nap time, nap time, o precious sweet nap time.

The time during said precious naps seems to fly by and I find myself checking in on my watch to see how much time is remaining. It's really amazing how much you can cram into a 2-hour period. Never has 2 hours seemed so wonderful. And then you hear it... a peep, a cry, a song, or the dreaded call of "MOMMY!". And you know your time is nearing an end. I find myself rushing around the house doing the last few things I wanted to do before my world is children-focused again.

Then again I envision a day when we can go on vacation and have the full day to plan an activity WITHOUT having to rush home in the middle of day. I imagine that will be liberating in its own right. But when do you get that ME time?!? I guess only after they have snuggled away with teddies, bunnies and blankies.

I am writing this blog entry during a wonderful nap by little Garrett. As of yet he has not settled into any kind of nap schedule and it doesn't seem to matter too much if I disrupt it or shuttle him around to and fro letting him cat nap here or there. But soon will come a time when he is napping (hopefully) at least 4 hours during the day and his awake hours are few and far between.

So here's a salute to infant and toddler nap time. Thank you for existing and letting this mom get a little bit of ME time, a little sanity, fun, relaxation, regrouping and zen energy. Nap time, nap time, o sweet precious nap time.

2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic fantastic fantastic. Jackson's naps are dwindling in time and he is preparing to get rid of his morning nap and I will be sad.

    I LOVE NAP TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy that nap while you can. Lucy lost hers just after her 3rd birthday and we are still looking for it in hopes that it returns occasionally. Luke is currently napping (not on any schedule mind you) and in three minutes I have a conference call and pray that he'll keeping dozing for just 30 minutes more. Nothing like a crying baby in the background of a business call... ugh!

    ReplyDelete